On a day to day basis, I just don’t have time to make elaborate breakfasts. Who does? Mornings are craziness at my house. Usually ten o’clock rolls around and my stomach is grumbling so loud it’s downright embarrassing and I grab something small and quick just to get it in my belly as fast as possible. Probably nine times out of ten it’s a granola bar or a protein bar.
I love granola bars. They come in about nine million and seventy three varieties so I never get bored with them and they are just so darn easy to throw in my bag or pocket when I’m rushing out the door – and not just in the morning.
These chewy homemade granola bars are so so easy to make and have the best sweet and salty honey and peanut butter flavor. Plus a little hint of chocolate! Also, they’re loaded with rolled oats and some nuts to give you an extra protein boost and keep you full longer. And if that’s not awesome enough, you don’t even have to bake them! You just press the mixture into a pan and let it chill for a couple of hours til they firm up! Win win win win win all around.
- 1 cup whole grain cereal (I used whole grain Cheerios – something similar would work)
- ½ cup shredded coconut (both sweetened and unsweetened work fine)
- 1¼ cups old fashioned rolled oats
- 2 scoops protein powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup nuts, roughly chopped
- ⅓ cup prepared PB2 or peanut butter
- ⅓ cup honey
- Add a touch of water if needed
- Combine cereal, coconut, oats, salt, and chopped nuts in a bowl and stir to combine.
- In a small sauce pan combine PB2 and honey and stir over medium heat until smooth. Stir into your oats mixture. Stir in chocolate chips if using.
- Line an 8×8 inch pan with nonstick foil and lightly grease (I used cooking spray but you could also use butter or oil). Press granola mixture into your pan.
- Freeze for 20 minutes. Lift foil from the pan and place on a flat clean surface. Cut into bars. Store in airtight container together or individually wrapped in plastic wrap. Store chilled.