Today in the Trench kitchen, we had left over yams coming out the wazoo. Last week I had a pregnancy phase where all I wanted to eat was yams, this week I am not into them at all – which leaves us with 10lb cooked yams aging rapidly in the refrigerator – awesome… I know it might sound weird to put sweet potatoes in a cookie recipe, but I promise it’s good! I really love making this recipe because I can make it any time of year and the cookies have amazing flavor.
Did you know that the more orange a sweet potato is, the more beta-carotene—an excellent antioxidant—it has in it? Winning!!!
Pick quality ingredients and you’ll get quality cookies!
Sweet Potato Cookies:
1 large sweet potato (about 1 cup cooked)
3/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
3 oz Greek yogurt
3/4 cup Stevia
3/4 cup Xylitol brown sugar
4 egg whites (or two whole eggs)
2 cups oat flour
2 scoops ON Cinnamon Bun Protein Energy
1 tsp baking soda
2 1/2 tsp baking powder
2 tsp ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
1/4 tsp ground ginger
1/4 tsp ground allspice
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees and spray a cookie sheet with non-stick spray, set aside.
2. If your not a pregnant psycho you will need to prepare the sweet potato, to do this poke holes in the sweet potato and place in a plastic grocery bag with some water. Microwave for 6 to 8 minutes.
3. Remove the skin from sweet potato and let cool.
4. Cream applesauce, Greek yogurt, sweetener, brown sugar, and egg whites in a medium bowl.
5. In a large bowl, mix together oat flour, protein, baking soda, baking powder, salt and spices.
6. Stir the mashed sweet potato into the wet ingredients until most of the lumps are gone.
7. Stir the wet ingredients into the dry until everything is incorporated.
8. Using a tablespoon, spoon the cookies onto a cookie sheet about 2 inches apart.
9. Bake 10-12 minutes.
With Love From the Trench Kitchen,