Yes I know it seems a bit of a stretch to state that this is in fact the best chili you’ll ever taste, but hey I guess I’m a little biased. I’ve been known to post this recipe on my Instagram and have had numerous requests for it, so I suppose it’s about time I shared it with you all. It may seem silly to make this as much as I do, but when meal planning and prepping during the week this recipe sure comes in handy!
I’m well aware that it is getting pretty warm out, but with the bi-polar Saskatchewan spring weather I thought it was as good of time as any to share this! Trust me you’ll thank me later. I actually make this recipe all the time (no matter how warm out) only because it’s quick, easy, really really healthy and makes a TON of leftovers for lunches during the week. It’s also my go-to tailgate recipe (that I always double of course) because it feeds SO many people which I must say makes me pretty happy since I’ve never had any complaints.
When it comes to making chili you really can’t go wrong. You throw in your basic ingredients, chop up your veggies and let everything simmer until all the flavors have marinated and your chili is piping hot. Boom, easy peasy. This recipe is a quick one, only taking about an hour or so, but this would taste just as good in a slow-cooker! Make sure to brown and crumble your turkey before adding it to your crock-pot of course, but throw everything in and come home from work to a delicious meal.
Whoever invented the slow-cooker, god I love you.
I think what sets this recipe apart from others that I’ve tried is the spicy/sweet combo. If you don’t like a lot of heat feel free to leave out the hot sauce and jalapenos, but I promise it’s nothing you won’t be able to handle! You can always add more veggies to this or even some spicy sausage or bacon, chili is great because you can truly make it your own. Serve with some shredded cheese or even slices of avocado and enjoy!
- 2 lbs 99% fat-free ground turkey
- 1 yellow onion, chopped
- 5 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 (28 oz) can crushed tomatoes, no-salt added
- 1 (15 oz) can petite diced tomatoes, no-salt added
- 3 Tbsp tomato paste
- ½ tsp. hot sauce (I used Texas Pete)
- 1 (15 oz) can kidney beans, no-salt added, drained and rinsed
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped
- 2 jalapenos, chopped
- 1½ tsp. sea salt
- Pinch of pepper
- 1 packet Stevia
- 3 Tbsp chili powder
- 2 tsp. oregano
- ⅛ tsp. cayenne pepper
- Drizzle olive oil in a large pot and saute onion and garlic until fragrant, about 3 minutes. Add ground turkey and cook until crumbled and brown, draining excess liquid as necessary.
- Add all the rest of the ingredients and cook on medium/low heat for about an hour. Enjoy!
With Love From the Trench Kitchen,