Slow cookers are cheap to buy, economical to use and they’re great for making the most of budget ingredients. They offer a healthier, low-fat method of cooking and require the minimum amount of effort. Really, what’s not to love?
Oh yea, tracking said crock pot deliciousness using my fitness pal — until now. Fear not, here are the step by step instructions so you can make your favorite crock pot creations and accurately calculate the caloric content.
1. Select ‘+ Add Food’ from any meal on your Diary log.
2. On the far right select the ‘Recipes’ tab.
3. Select ‘Create a New Recipe’.
4. Now, you can either select ‘Enter Ingredients Manually’ or if you are using an online recipe you can select ‘Add from the Web,’ insert the website URL and import the recipe. ** I highly suggest importing your own ingredients so you can insure accuracy with your ingredients used.
5. Now for adding ingredients — I put my crock pot right on top of the food scale and manipulate the ingredients as I import them. As you can see in the example provided, I have imported all of my ingredients and have the weight of each ingredient.
6. Once you set the temperature and time, go to sleep, go to work, go do something for 7-8 hours and let your food rock and roll.
7. After your meal has reached the proper cooking time its time to portion out your meal. Put a pot or a large bowl on the scale and transfer your ingredients from the crock pot onto the scale. You will now have the weight of the entire recipe.
8. Take the total weight and divide it by the serving size.
As you can see, our Apple Pie Overnight Oats totaled 2,224g; that divided into 8 servings makes each serving 278g.
I hope that this makes tracking crock pot recipes a bit easier and you can incorporate more slow cooker meals into your nutrition regimen.
Here is the recipe for our Apple Pie Overnight Oats:
2 cups steel cut Only Oats or any steel cut oats of choice
2 cups water
2 cups unsweetened almond milk
2 gala apples – 198g
2 tbsp. stevia
LOTS of cinnamon
Cook on low for 8 hours and 25 minutes (8 hours of sleep + 25 minutes of puppy snuggles). Top as desierd — fat free Greek yogurt, nuts, carob chips, nut butter, fruit etc.
With love from the Trench kitchen,