I have a thing for peanut butter and jelly. Although thing may not exactly be the right word – obsession may be a little more accurate.
In recent weeks, PB&Js have been my go-to pre-workout meal and although this may seem a wee bit shocking, I’d gladly forgo a chocolate energy ball for two slices of multi-grain bread slathered with Skippy Natural Super Chunk and seedless raspberry jam. Seedless is key. Who wants to ruin the PB&J experience by having to pick tiny seeds from your teeth? Not this girl.
1/2 cup almond butter (can use other nut butter as well – PB2 for less fat)
1 ripe medium/large banana
1/4 cup honey
1/2 cup rolled oats
2 Tbsp. ground flaxseed
1 tsp. vanilla extract
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/4 cup of your favourite jelly, divided*
1. Preheat oven to 375F and prepare a muffin pan by spraying 9 cavities with cooking spray. Set aside.
2. Add all ingredients except for jam to a blender and blend on high until oats are broken down and batter is smooth and creamy.
3. Use a greased tablespoon to spoon approximately 2 Tbsp. of batter into the prepared muffin pan, filling each cavity about 1/3 of the way full. There should be enough to generously cover the bottom of the cavity.
4. Add 1 to 1 1/2 tsp. of jam to the centre of each cavity before topping with another 2 Tbsp. of batter, or until each cavity is 3/4 of the way full. You want to make sure that all of the jam is covered so that it doesn’t seep out and burn on the side of the pan.
5. Bake for 10-12 minutes, until the tops of your muffins are set and a toothpick inserted into the middle comes out clean. Allow muffins to cool in pan for ~10 minutes before removing. Store in an air-tight container for up to a week.
With Love From the Trench Kitchen,